Hume & Hovell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The column commemorates the site where Hume set off from his property with Hovell on their expedition to Port Phillip Bay. The memorial was unveiled as part of the Hume and Hovell Centenary celebrations in 1924. 

Noted colonial explorer Hamilton Hume had established a sheep property near Gunning by 1821, three years after he and James Meehan became the first known Europeans to set foot on the Goulburn Plains.

On 17 October 1824, a fortnight after leaving Hume's home at Appin, the party left his station at Gunning, then the farthest out. In the next sixteen weeks the party made many important discoveries including the Murray River, which the explorers for different reasons named the Hume, many of its tributaries, and the valuable agricultural and grazing lands between Gunning and Corio Bay in Victoria. It was a rich return for the distance travelled. They arrived back at Gunning on 18 January 1825.



Address:Cullerin Road (Old Hume Highway), Fish River, Gunning, 2581
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.760398
Long: 149.313556
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:17-October-1824
Actual Event End Date:18-January-1825


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 17th October, 1924
Front Inscription

Column to record Hume Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip

Site of Hume Grant 

Expedition finally set out from here

17 - 10 - 1824

17 - 10 - 1924


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design