Captain James CookPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Singing Ship commemorates Captain Cook and his exploration of the bay in May, 1770. The monument represents the billowing sail, mast and rigging of his ship Endeavour. Concealed organ pipes use the sea breezes to create eerie music.

The Singing Ship project was adopted by the Rockhampton and District Historical Society to mark the Captain Cook bi-centenary in 1970.  The target of $5000 was raised mainly through small donations although the surrounding shires, the Lions Club, the Emu Park Progress Association and the Rockhampton Rodeo Picnic Club gave more substantial donations. Steve Kele, a Rockhampton steel and concrete contractor was responsible for the job, the erection of a forty foot high steel and concrete structure reminiscent of a ship's sails but constructed in order to 'sing' in response to the prevailing winds.  Steve Kele donated $1000 worth of labour to the project.  Two plaques, unveiled on May 30 1970, are in honour of Captain Cook and the artist, engineer, acoustician and builder.


Address:Tennant Memorial Drive, Kele Park, The Singing Ship, Emu Park, 4710
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -23.256238
Long: 150.829138
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Designer:Peggy Westmoreland
Monument Manufacturer:Steve Kele


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 30th May, 1970
Front Inscription

Time Capsule
Placed May 1975
To be opened May 2070

The Singing Ship

To honour Captain James Cook
1728 - 1779

Explorer  Navigator  Cartographer 

Who discovered and named Keppel Bay
26 - 28th. May 1770.

Erected May 1970

Back Inscription

Unveiled by the Hon Minister for Shipping Mr Ian Sinclair

Designed by Mrs J S (Peggy) Westmoreland

Constructed by S W Kele

Engineered by W Thomas

Acoustics by G Cain

Source: MA,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design