Centenary of Ballarat Water CommissionPrint Page Print this page

Water Supply Centenary
Water Supply Centenary

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The plaque was originally on a fountain which was presented to the people of Ballarat by the the Ballarat Water Commision to commemorate their centenary in 1980. It also marks the site from which the first piped water supply to Ballarat was taken in 1858.

In 1880 by an Act of Parliament Ballarat Water Commissioners constituted comprising seven members, three appointed by government and two from each council (Chairman J Noble Wilson, Secretary and Treasurer JB Cathcart, Engineer CH Bagge).

In 1858 the first water supply was piped from the Yuille`s swamp (Lake Wendouree).  Pipes were laid from the location where Wendouree Parade and Webster Street meet (at rockery), to Sturt Street, near Lydiard Street.  The first piped water was available in December 1858. 


Address:Cornish Street, The Gong , Buninyong, 3357
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.653711
Long: 143.889979
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 20th July, 1980
Front Inscription

This plaque was unveiled on the 20th July 1980 by His Excellency the Hon. Sir Henry Winneke, K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., O,B,E,, K. St.J., O.C., Governor of Victoria 

On the occasion of the presentation of this fountain to the people of Ballarat by the Ballarat Water Commissioners to commemorate their centenary & to mark the site from which the first piped water supply to Ballarat was taken in December 1858

Commissioner J. H. Heinz                                     Councillor J. F. McKay J.P.    
Chairman. The Ballarat Water Commissioners     Mayor City Of Ballaarat

The Ballarat Water Commisioners 
[ Names ]

Secretary Treasurer      Engineer -In-Chief
B. E. Leach                    A. S. Howard    

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au