www.monumentaustralia.org.au

First Irrigation SitePrint Page Print this page

24-August-2016
24-August-2016

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The monument commemorates the first irrigation site in Australia.

Water was first diverted from the Murray for irrigation in the 1880`s. However, it was the succession of drought years from 1895 - culminating in the record dry year of 1902 - that brought home to the residents of the Murray Valley the need for protection against drought, which was needed if the region was to develop. The "go ahead" for the construction of the weir was given on July 23rd, 1934, and within a few months the preliminary works were in progress. The project provided significant employment relief during the Depression. More than 500 men were working on the Mulwala Canal when construction was in full swing. The weir construction started April 26th, 1935 and was completed on 17-July-1939 with the filling of the lake starting on 12-August-1939.

Location

Address:Melbourne Street , Mulwala Canal, Mulwala, 2647
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.983204
Long: 146.011769
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 6th April, 1935
Front Inscription

This Cairn And Tablet Were Erected By The
WATER CONSERVATION And IRRIGATION COMMISSION
To Commemorate The Ceremony Of The Turning
Of The First Sod Of The
MULWALA CANAL
Near This Spot By
THE HON. B. S. B. STEVENS M.L.A.  
Premier Of New South Wales
On The 6th April 1935
In The Presence Of A Large And Representative
Gathering Of Citizens

The Honourable Hugh Main M.L.A.  Minister For Agriculture
F. W. Brewster  Chief Engineer
C. J. Evatt  Commissioner
W. Rewlings  Commissioner

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design