60th Anniversary of Occupation by Kalgoorlie Roads BoardPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris Abbott

The plaque commemorates the 60th Anniversary of occupancy of the building by the Kalgoorlie Roads Board from November 1901 to July 1961.

Road Board Offices. - The Kalgoorlie Road Board’s new offices, in Porter Street, are now at the point of completion, and will be ready for occupancy next week.

The building is a substantial two-storied brick structure, erected at a cost of slightly over £2000. The ground floor comprises two roomy offices, flanked by two smaller ones, a bicycle lock, and a caretaker's quarters. Upstairs there is a mezzanine, or intermediate story, where there is another office. Immediately over this is the surveyor's office. The front portion of the upper floor overlooking Porter-street comprises the board room, 36ft. x 22ft., with 15ft. walls. Immediately behind the board room are the members' room and secretary's offices. The whole building is well ventilated and plastered, with stamped zinc ceilings, and fitted with electric light and all requirements.

It is also intended to add two fairly large shops to the ground floor, which, with the offices, will furnish a fair revenue to the board.  The building was erected by Mr. J. Crothers, under the supervision of the architects, Messrs Hawkins and Sprigg.
Kalgoorlie Western Argus, Tuesday 22nd October 1901




Address:39 Porter Street, Kalgoorlie, 6430
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.744593
Long: 121.476436
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Actual Event Start Date:05-November-1901
Actual Event End Date:01-July-1961
Approx. Event End Date:


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1961
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This Tablet Commemorates
The 60th Anniversary
Of The Occupation
Of This Building
5 November 1901
  And Marks
The Inception Of The
 1 July 1961
N. H. Johns J. P.

Deputy President 
C. P. Daws

E. J. Usher,      J. M. Absolon,
P. F. Mc Bride.  D. P. Dellar,
J. M. Camilleri,  I. A. Baker,
Dr E. R. Reid

Shire Clerk 
A. E. Rasmussen


Plaque :

(Constituted A. D. 1896)
Erected A. D. 1901

R. D. Thompson, Esq. J. P.
W. H. Collins.
C. W. James.
W. T. Moran.
T. Oberthur.
J. V. Parkes.
H. C. Sewell

Secretary  M. J. Richardsom
Engineer G. Whitlock.

J. Crothers, Builder.
Hawkin & Sprigg, Architects.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au