www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Broken Hill Base HospitalPrint Page Print this page

24-August-2021
24-August-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The monument commemorates the centenary of the Broken Hill Base Hospital from 1887 to 1997.

In 1886 there was no medical facility in the township of Broken Hill, in contrast Silverton, New South Wales had three medical practitioners, but after the BHP Company was approached by the Miners association it was agreed to provide a temporary hospital structure that could hold six beds, a morgue and two outhouses were also included, this first initial structure was a simple timber and iron dwelling.

Though only the year after in 1887, Broken Hill’s first hospital was opened on 16 May by Wyman Brown, to replace the temporary structure, this new hospital was built on the site of Broken Hill’s present jail, at a cost of 260 pounds, over the next few years several additions were built onto the hospital. In September 1888 the contract for the erection of the new hospital was awarded to R.Honey at the cost of 3,566 pounds, to be built in Thomas Street the location of the site of the present hospital. The new hospital was officially opened on 26 June 1889 by Sir Henry Parkes, the hospital had received donations prior to the opening from the directors of the BHP Company (500 pounds), and George McCullock (700 pounds). The surgical ward was named the "McCulloch Ward" to commemorate his generosity.

In June 1939, the Governor-General of Australia, Lord Gowrie, laid a foundation stone for the new Hospital, and officially opened the Australian Aerial Medical Services wireless station at Round Hill. In September 1941, the Governor of New South Wales, Lord Wakehurst opened the new five-story air conditioned Hospital which had a capacity of 245 patients; his wife Lady Wakehurst opened the Hospital Kiosk. Over the years additions were made to the Hospital; In 1930 the Maternity wing was officially opened, and a new maternity wing rebuilt in 1954, enforcing visiting hours for the new mothers, it provides a "wide range of comforts for mother and baby and a waiting room for the anxious father,” the hospital was also a registered school for general and midwifery nursing, with a high standard of teaching.

In April 1981, the Broken Hill Hospital changed its name to Broken Hill Base Hospital. In May 1997, plans for a new hospital building were announced, December 1999 the old building was demolished and the new hospital was officially opened in March 2000, by Craig Knowles, the NSW Minister for Health, the new hospital was built at a cost of $32 million.

Location

Address:Thomas Street, Broken Hill Base Hospital, Broken Hill, 2880
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.947639
Long: 141.454655
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1887
Approx. Event End Date:1987

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 9th May, 1987
Front Inscription

Broken Hill Base Hospital

Centenary 1887 - 1997

This plaque was unveiled by Miss Gladys Vance who was Matron from 1943 to 4 March 1967, on Saturday 9 May 1987

To commemorate a centenary of service to the people of Broken Hill and District.

Board of Directors
Mr. W. S. O`Neil (Chairman)                 Mr. L. A. Lewis (Director)
Mr. R. R. Milde (Deputy Chairman)       Mr. Heuzenroeder  (Director)
Mr. I. R. Keay (Treasurer)                     Mr. K. A. Hocking (Director)
Mr. W. J. McLeod (Deputy Treasurer)   Mr. R. T. Sanderson (Director)
Mrs. J. A. Fitzpatrick (Director)              Mr. B. F. Williamson (Director)
Miss B. J. McEvoy (Director)

Administration
Mr. C. J. Lean              (Chief Executive Officer)
Dr. S. Dharmavaratha  (Clinical Superintendent)
Mrs. M. Stevens           (Director of Nursing)

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design