www.monumentaustralia.org.au

104 Years of Railway ServicePrint Page Print this page

19-February-2021
19-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The railway goods wagon No G 2300r has been placed at Cowwarr in remembrance of the former railway and its 104 years service to the community. 

The Cowwarr station opened in 1883 with the construction of the line from Traralgon to Heyfield and was 184 km from Southern Cross.  A telegraph office operated at the station from around 1910 to 1916. In 1915, there was a derailment that occurred at the station. In 1927, the amount of revenue derived from the station was £3984. The station closed in 1986 and the section of the line was closed in 1987. 

Location

Address:Traralgon-Maffra Road, Gippsland Plains Rail Trail, Cowwarr, 3857
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.014108
Long: 146.69334
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Technology
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State

Dedication

Front Inscription
Victorian Railways
'G' Class Wagon

The railway goods wagon No. G 2300R is a typical example of a standard 4- wheel open wagon used by Victorian Railways to transfer various types of goods around the State. It was built at Bendigo workshops in 1945. This type of vehicle was used extensively on this line and handled locally grown grain from Cowwarr to Pakenham as well as super phosphate from Geelong and Footscray until this section of the line closed in 1987. 

With the introduction of larger capacity wagons, shipping containers and the closure of many rural railway lines, these wagons have been withdrawn from service and only a few examples remain with heritage tourist railways. 

Wagon 2300R has been placed at Cowwarr in remembrance of the former railway and its 104 years of service to the community. It was sourced and restored as a joint effort between Gippsland Plains Rail Trail Committee, Public Transport Victoria, Wellington Shire Council and the people of Cowwarr and district.   

A goods train pictured at Cowwarr Station,
October 1933. 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design