www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sesquicentenary of Royal Adelaide HospitalPrint Page Print this page

17-March-2021
17-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates the sesquicentenary of the Royal Adelaide Hospital from 1839 to 1989 and was unveiled near the site of the third Colonial Infirmary and Dispensary. 

Location

Address:West Terrace, Adelaide High School, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.926109
Long: 138.587387
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1839
Approx. Event End Date:1989

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1990
Front Inscription

This Plaque Marks Approximately The Third Site Of
The Colonial Infirmary And Dispensary

December 1839 to January 1841

The Area Known As Emigration Square Was A 
Collection Of Wooden Buildings Erected To
Provide Shelter And A Reception Centre For
Labourers And Their Families Whose Passages
Had Been Paid For From The Land Fund.

One Of These A Prefabricated Structure Brought
From England Was Acquired For Use As A Dispensary
And Infirmary From December 1839 Until The
First Adelaide Hospital Was Opened In January 1841.

Erected By The Royal Adelaide Hospital
Heritage And History Committee
         To Commemorate
The Royal Adelaide Hospital Sesquicentenary
                1990

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design