www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Royal Adelaide HospitalPrint Page Print this page

03-March-2021
03-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the service of the Royal Adelaide Hospital to the South Australian community at the site from 1840 to 2017.

On 15 July 1840, Lieutenant-Colonel George Gawler, then Governor of South Australia, laid the foundation stone for the Adelaide Hospital, which is regarded as the hospital's foundation day, although the first patients were only admitted in January or February of the following year. It was located in the Adelaide Park Lands on the north side of North Terrace, east of From Road. The hospital was officially proclaimed "Royal" on 2 November 1939. At that time it was the largest general hospital in Australia, and included a modern dental hospital. It also functioned as a teaching hospital for medical and dental students, in conjunction with the University of Adelaide (a partnership which has continued to the present day). After completion of the new building in 2017, a phased move to the new premises took place, and the old site was designated Lot Fourteen, with various plans mooted regarding its redevelopment. The heritage buildings on the site have being kept.

 

Location

Address:North Terrace, Adelaide Botanic Gardens, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.918585
Long: 138.608221
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1840
Approx. Event End Date:2017

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 11th July, 2018
Front Inscription

We reflect, we respect, 
and we show our gratitude.

In honour of the service of the Royal Adelaide Hospital to
the South Australian community at this site, 1840 - 2017.

Officially dedicated by

The Honourable Steven Marshall MP 
Premier of South Australia

11 July 2018

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design