www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50th Anniversary of Discovery of Tantanoola CavePrint Page Print this page

23-February-2021
23-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of the discovery of the Tantanoola Cave in March 1930.

TANTANOOLA—Interest is being maintained in the new cave found about five miles from here recently, and 1,000 persons have visited it.  A doubt exists as to the ownership. The Tantanoola District Council expects to gain control, and has authorised improvements.   It was thought at first that the cave was on the property of Mr. G. Lane, who found it while searching for rabbits with ferrets. It is said by many who have seen it to rival the beauty of the limestone caves at Narracoorte. The cave, which is at the Hanging Rocks, has been lighted.
Register News-Pictorial (Adelaide), 16 May 1930.

Location

Address:Princes Highway, Tantanoola Caves Conservation Park, Tantanoola, 5280
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.715693
Long: 140.501973
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Actual Event Start Date:28-March-1930
Actual Event End Date:28-March-1980

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 30th March, 1980
Front Inscription

This Plaque Commemorates The 
      50th Anniversary Of The
Discovery Of The Tantanoola Cave
          By Mr. B. Lane
     On March 28th, 1930.
          Unveiled By
Her Worship The Mayor Of Millicent
     Mrs. G. V. Smith
       On March 30th, 1980.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design