www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50 Years of service by Cairn Curran ReservoirPrint Page Print this page

01-November-2019
01-November-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque commemorates Cairn Curran Reservoir`s 50 years of service to the community from 1956 to 2006.

Cairn Curran Reservoir was constructed between 1947 and 1956. Cairn Curran Reservoir was constructed to supply water for irrigation and domestic and stock use to customers along the Loddon River. The storage has a primary spillway, and a secondary spillway situated 2 km south‑west of the main structure that will spill before the embankment is overtopped.

A 2 MW Hydro-electric power station generates electricity when irrigation and flood releases are being made. 

Location

Address:Cairn Curran Reservoir, (Near access gate to dam wall and spillway), Baringhup, 3463
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.988515
Long: 143.969708
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1956
Approx. Event End Date:2006

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2006
Front Inscription

Goulburn - Murray Water

Cairn Curran Reservoir
50 years serving the community

1956 - 2006

Facts and Figures                                        
Embankment
Location                                    Loddon River
Construction Materials              Earth and rock fill
Length                                       656m
Height                                        44m
Crest width                                 6m

Lake
Full supply level                         208.46m( AHD)
Capacity at full supply                148,760 ML
Surface area at full supply level  1,900 ha
Lake catchment area                   1,593 km2
Annual rainfall at reservoir            635mm

Cairn Curran Reservoir is located on the Loddon River downstream of Newstead. Its function is to supply irrigators along the river and the western sector of Goulburn-Murray Water. Cairn Curran Reservoir was constructed from 1947 to 1956. The spillway can release up to 189,000 megalitres a day.

The secondary spillway located two kilometres south west, has a low saddle that in extreme flood events will spill before the main embankment is overtopped. The outlet supplies both a small hydro electric power station and an irrigation pipeline. Many recreational activities are enjoyed on and around Cairn Curran. 

For more information visit www.g-mwater.com.au

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design