www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Flora for Victoria 1996Print Page Print this page

18-February-2019
18-February-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque commemorates Flora for Victoria 1996, a project to celebrate the Royal Botanic Gardens of Melbourne`s 150th anniversary and the centenary of the death of its first director Baron Ferdinand von Mueller (1825 -1896). 

The Botanic Gardens received a donation of selected plants as part of the project. 

Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria are botanic gardens across two sites–Melbourne and Cranbourne. Melbourne Gardens was founded in 1846 when land was reserved on the south side of the Yarra River for a new botanic garden. It extends across 38 hectares (94 acres) that slope to the river with trees, garden beds, lakes and lawns. It displays almost 50,000 individual plants representing 8,500 different species. These are displayed in 30 living plant collections. Cranbourne Gardens was established in 1970


Ferdinand von Mueller studied pharmacy and took his Doctor of Philosophy at the University of Kiel in 1847. He came to Australia in 1848 for health reasons and became a great botanical collector and writer. He was Victorian Government Botanist from 1853, and for a time Director of the Botanic Gardens. He travelled widely in Victoria and was on the A.C> Gregory expedition to northern Australia in 1855-57. He supported botanical exploration and collecting throughout the colonies. His botanical publications are very extensive, and include Fragmenta Phytographiae Australiae published over the period 1858-82.

Dr Mueller received honours from many of the ruling Royal Houses of Europe, he was made a Baron by the King of Wurtemberg in 1871, and knighted by Queen Victoria.

Location

Address:Mollison Street, Kyneton Botanic Gardens , Kyneton, 3444
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.254534
Long: 144.452105
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1846
Approx. Event End Date:1896

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1996
Front Inscription
FLORA FOR VICTORIA 1996

In 1996 this garden received a donation of selected plants from the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne as part of Flora for Victoria, a project celebrating the Gardens' 150th Anniversary and the centenary of the death of its first Director Baron Ferdinand von Mueller (1825 - 1896). 

Flora for Victoria has been made possible through 
the generous support of its sponsors. 

Government of the Federal Republic of Germany
State Government of Victoria
Gas and Fuel
Linfox
E.L. & C Baillieu Ltd.
Mr Arno Herpe 
Estate: Mrs A M White
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design