www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100 Years of Hinton BridgePrint Page Print this page

18-February-2020 (Sandra Brown)
18-February-2020 (Sandra Brown)

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens / Sandra Brown

The plaque commemorates 100 years since the Hinton Bridge was opened in February 1901. The Hinton Bridge over Paterson River was listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 20 June 2000

The bridge project to replace the existing steam ferry was initiated in 1898, when a contract of was let for its construction
for £9,845. A further project of 2,200 metres (110 chains) of road to connect the new bridge to the Morpeth Bridge was initiated in the same year. The contractor for the work was S. McGill, the same contractor as the Morpeth Bridge. The iron and steel work was provided by Messrs. Pope, Maher and Company, and the steel ropes for the lifting span manufactured by Messrs. Bullivant and Co.

The bridge was designed by Ernest de Burgh, Assistant Engineer for Bridges in the Public Works department, under the direction of Under-Secretary for Public Works and Commissioner for Roads Hickson. It was designed to allow for a clear opening for river traffic of 15.37 metres (50 ft 5 in) when opened, and to be able to be raised to give a headway of 7.77 metres (25 ft 6 in) above flood, or 14 metres (45 ft) above high water.

It was opened on 13 February 1901 by Colonial Secretary, John See. The lifting span was fixed in position in 1940.

Location

Address:Hinton Road, Hinton Bridge, Hinton, 2321
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.714473
Long: 151.648193
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Actual Event Start Date:13-February-1901

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 8th April, 2001
Front Inscription

HINTON BRIDGE 

WAS OFFICIALLY OPENED BY
THE HON JOHN SEE, MP
MINISTER FOR PUBLIC WORKS
ON 13 FEBRUARY 1901

Designed by E M De Burgh    Built by S McGill
Engineer for Bridges 
Public Works Department

This Plaque Was Unveiled By
The Hon Morris Iemma, MP 
Minister For Public Works And Services
On 8 April 2001

During Celebrations To Mark 100 Years
Since The Bridge Opened

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design