www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Wollongong Court HousePrint Page Print this page

16-September-2017
16-September-2017

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers

The plaque commemorates the centenary of Wollongong Court House 1886-1986. 

A court was first established in Wollongong in September 1832 in a makeshift room at the military barracks. Two years later, the first purpose-built courthouse, located on the corner of Harbour and Robertson streets, was built.

A second courthouse, facing Brighton Beach at the bottom of Cliff Road, was built in 1857 and had its first sittings on February 1, 1858. By 1883, community growth prompted calls for a larger, more imposing courthouse, so the government started afresh on a site at Church Hill. Colonial architect James Barnet designed a single-storey building with a basement for jury rooms, cells and a court keeper’s residence. It cost nearly £10,500  to build and officially opened in 1886.

 

Location

Address:Church & Market Streets, Wollongong Court House, Wollongong, 2500
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.423941
Long: 150.896129
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1886
Approx. Event End Date:1986

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 9th September, 1986
Front Inscription

                       1886 - 1986
The Honourable Terry Sheahan, B.A., LL B., M.P.,
    Attorney General For New South Wales
       And Minister Assisting the Premier,
Unveiled This Plaque On 9th September, 1986,
   To Commemorate The Centenary Of
            Wollongong Court House.

Designed in the office of J. Barnet, Colonial Architect.

F. N. Arkell, M.P.,                       Member for Wollongong
T. W. Haines, LL B., Secretary, Attorney General`s Department
W. K. Pilz. A.O., O.B.E.,            Director of Public Works

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design