Official Opening of the Berrima Training CentrePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates the official opening of the Berrima Training Centre in November 1949.

Initially established as Berrima Gaol, the facility closed in 1909 and reopened in 1949 as the Berrima Training Centre. The Centre is the oldest Australian correctional facility in operation. It was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.

In 2001 the Centre changed its name to Berrima Correctional Centre and, after one hundred and sixty six years as a men's prison, the Centre became a woman's prison, with a capacity of fifty-nine inmates.

Immediately prior to its closure in 2011, the Centre was an all-female low-to-medium-security prison, and was responsible for the administration of a periodic detention centre and court cells at Wollongong. In the 2011 NSW State Budget, the Government announced that the centre would be closed, which took effect on 4 November 2011.

The Centre was re-opened on 27 September 2016 as part of a statewide initiative to add 1400 beds to the New South Wales prison population. The correctional centre closed in 2020 and has been sold.

Elaborate arrangements are in hand for the official opening of the Berrima Training Centre which is housed in what is more commonly known as the Berrima Gaol. Invitations have been sent out by the Minister for Justice, Mr. Downing, to the function which is set down for 2.30 p.m. on Saturday, November 19. The ceremony will be performed by His Excellency the State Governor. 
Goulburn Evening Post (NSW ), 25 October 1949.

Note: The site will be redeveloped following its sale and it is unknown by Monument Australia if the plaque will be retained. 


Address:Argyle Street, Old Berrima Gaol, Berrima, 2577
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.487581
Long: 150.335973
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 19th November, 1949
Front Inscription

This tablet commemorates the official opening of the Berrima Training Centre by His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales Lieutenant General John Northcott, C.B., M.V.O. on 19th November 1949

L. C. J. Nott     Comptroller-General of Prisons

R. R. Downing  Minister for Justice

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au