Centenary of Sydney Harbour TrustPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams / Susan Rowe

The wooden bridge commemorates the centenary of the Sydney Harbour Trust which was established in 1901 to manage the Port of Sydney.

The Sydney Harbour Trust began operations on 1 November 1900 with responsibility for the Navigation Department and Marine Board of Sydney Harbour. The Trust, as governed by an act of the New South Wales Parliament consisted of three commissioners (including one titled as President - Walter Loveridge CMG ) appointed by the Governor of New South Wales. It was responsible for the improvement and preservation of Sydney's port. The trust regulated the movement of vessels and the handling of cargo in the port through a Harbour Master, carried out dredging operations, removed wrecks, granted licences for the erection of piers, maintained wharf facilities and collected wharfage rates, maintained swimming baths.

The trust also managed fire fighting and other safety equipment within the harbour. All foreshores, lighthouses and tugs within the harbour which belonged to the Government were vested in the Trust, as well as the power to reclaim land. The Trust was wound up in 1936 with the establishment of the Maritime Services Board.


Address:Prince of Wales Drive , Molineaux Point, Port Botany, 2036
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.98415
Long: 151.212692
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Government
Approx. Event Start Date:1901
Approx. Event End Date:2001


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 8th March, 2001
Front Inscription

Sydney Ports Corporation welcomes you to Molineaux Point

This bridge commemorates the centenary of the Sydney Harbour Trust, established on 11th February 1901 to manage the port of Sydney.

The bridge is made of 100 year old timber recycled from the Sydney Harbour Trust`s No. 6 and No. 7 wharves at Walsh Bay in Sydney Harbour.

Opened by Mr David Field, Chairman of Sydney Ports Corporation, on 8th March 2001.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au