www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Mr R. Critchett-WalkerPrint Page Print this page

Critchett-Walker Fountain : 19-02-2014
Critchett-Walker Fountain : 19-02-2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The Drinking fountain was erected by personal friends and trustees of the National Park Trust in memory of civil servant,  Mr. R. Critchett -Walker (1841-1903), Chairman of the National Park Trust from 1894 to 1903.

On 1 April 1865 Walker rejoined the civil service as a clerk in the Colonial Secretary's Department and was private secretary to (Sir) Charles Cowper. He was promoted to second clerk in 1869 and first clerk in 1878; next year he became principal under-secretary of the colony on the recommendation of Sir Henry Parkes. His unassuming manner, tact and knowledge enabled him to earn the confidence of no less than 13 colonial secretaries and 3 acting colonial secretaries in 24 years. He had a special affection for Parkes and in October 1891 thanked him for his 'great kindness and consideration' during his eight years as colonial secretary.

 From 1889 he was a trustee of the National Park, where 'he invariably spent his Sundays'. Walker was returning officer for the 1897 Australasian Federal Convention, for the two referenda on the Constitution and for the first Federal elections in 1901. Appointed C.M.G. that year, Walker died unmarried of diabetes and pneumonia at Bligh Street, Sydney, on 13 June 1903 and was buried in the Anglican section of Waverley cemetery.

On Saturday last a number of the late Mr. Critchett Walker's personal friends visited the National Park for the purpose of the unveiling of a drinking fountain erected to that gentleman's memory.  At the request of the company the ceremony of unveiling and turning on the water was deputed to Mr. Farnell, chairman of the National Park Trust, who, in a few well-chosen remarks, referred to the excellent qualities of the late Mr. Walker and his untiring efforts to make the National Park a source of pleasure and attraction to the public, The fountain stands upon a pedestal of polished trachyte, supportlng a bronze lion, with the inscription on a bronze plate in front of the bowl and ornamented with polished brass plates.
Newcastle Morning Herald & Miners' Advocate (NSW ), 4th August 1904.

 

Location

Address:Audley Road, Royal National Park , Audley, 2232
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.073378
Long: 151.054935
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Link:http://adb.anu.edu.au/

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 30th July, 1904
Front Inscription

THIS DRINKING FOUNTAIN WAS
ERECTED BY THE TRUSTEES OF
THE NATIONAL PARK TRUST AND
A FEW PERSONAL FRIENDS TO
PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF THE
LATE R.C.RITCHIE-WALKER C.M.G.
CHAIRMAN OF THE NATIONAL PARK
TRUST FROM 1894 TO 1903
 

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design