150th Anniversary of the Corporation of Port AdelaidePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Mary Beaven

The monument commemorates the 150th Anniversary of the meeting of the Corporation of the Town of Port Adelaide in 1856.


Address:North Parade & Robe Street, Port Adelaide , 5015
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.843533
Long: 138.503345
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Actual Event Start Date:08-January-1856
Actual Event End Date:08-January-2006


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 8th January, 2006
Front Inscription

At a public meeting, held on 8 January 1856 near here,  the site of the Ship Inn, North Parade, the first Members of the Corporation of the Town of Port Adelaide were duly elected.

Mayor Captain Edward French
Alderman   - David Bower, West Ward; John Smith, East Ward
Councillors - Walter Smith, James Grosse and Edward Gascoyne Collinson, West Ward
Councillors - Alfred France, William Galway, John Cave, East Ward
Town Clerk - William Boykett.

Erected by the City of Port Adelaide Enfield and the Port Adelaide Historical Society to mark the 150th Anniversary of that Meeting.

Unveiled by Deputy Mayor Peter Jamieson on the 8th January 2006

Source: MA,ACPH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design