Jubilee of the ShirePrint Page Print this page

Jubilee of the Shire
Jubilee of the Shire

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson
The monument was erected to commemorate the Jubilee of the Shire in 1914, with a list of councillors from 1864 to 1914. A plaque was added to the memorial to the memorial in 1958 to commemorate the centenary of local government 1858 - 1958 and lists the names of the councillors who were sitting at that time. 

Maldon was first incorporated as a municipality on 6 August 1858, then as a road district on 2 September 1863. It was proclaimed a shire on 12 January 1864. On 20 January 1995, the Shire of Maldon was abolished, and, along with the City of Castlemaine and the Shires of Metcalfe and Newstead was merged into the newly created Shire of Mount Alexander.

After considerable discussion Maldon council has decided to commemorate the jubilee of the Shire by the erection of a granite pillar at the Bank of Victoria corner. The pillar will be 13½ feet high with a base of 6 feet, composed chiefly of Harcourt granite, and the estimated cost in £82. A proposal to vote £100 out of the shire funds towards the cost was lost in favor of an amendment that the sum be £75.  The extra amount required will be raised by the town improvement committee. 
Age (Melbourne), 27 July 1914. 


Address:High Street, Maldon Shire Gardens, Maldon, 3463
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.996667
Long: 144.067778
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Approx. Event Start Date:1864
Approx. Event End Date:1914


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1914
Front Inscription
In Commemoration
Of The Jubilee Of
The Shire Of Maldon
  1864 . 1914.
Left Side Inscription
First Councillors 1864
Back Inscription
Centenary of Local Government 1858 - 1958
Present Councillors
Right Side Inscription
Present Councillors 1914
Source: MA,VMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design