150th Anniversary of GladesvillePrint Page Print this page

The plaque and time capsule commemorate the 150th anniversary of Gladesville.

European settlement began officially with land grants being made to John Doody, a convict artist, in 1795. Among others to receive grants in the district, which was then called Eastern Farms because it was east of Parramatta, were William House (1795), Ann Benson (1796) and Charles Raven (1799). At this time, the area was often called Doody's, but it was part of the Kissing Point district. In 1836 John Glade, an emancipist, was issued with the deeds to Doody's grant, which he had purchased in 1817.



Address:Victoria Road, Trim Place, Gladesville, 2111
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.832222
Long: 151.126667
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Government


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1986
Front Inscription

Ryde Municipal Council
Time Capsule
Presented To
The Citizens Of Gladesville
On The Occasion Of
Their Gladesville Sesqui-Centenary
On 5th April 1986.

To Be Opened By Their Descendants
On 5th April 2036

K.R. Brown                Town Clerk
Alderman M Lardelli   Mayor

Source: H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design