www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the District Council of HallettPrint Page Print this page

13-April-2021
13-April-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the District Council of Hallett from 1877 to 1977, and the pioneers of Hallett. 

The District Council of Hallett was a local government area in South Australia from 1877 to 1997. The council was proclaimed on 13 September 1877 representing the Hundred of Hallett, establishing a council of eight members divided into four wards (Willogoleech, Cartarpo, Ulooloo and Banbury). It absorbed the neighbouring District Council of Terowie on 1 May 1935.

On 21 May 1935, it gained a portion of the Anne and Ayers wards of the abolished District Council of Booborowie, which formed the new Willalo Ward; it also added the Cappeedee Ward at this time.The changes resulted in a seven-ward system from 1935, with one councillor from each of the Banbury, Cappeedee, Hallett, Terowie, Terowie Township, Whyte and Willalo Wards.

It existed until 23 January 1997, when it merged with the District Council of Burra Burra, the District Council of Eudunda, and the District Council of Robertstown to create the Regional Council of Goyder.

Location

Address:12 Alfred Street, Hallett, 5158
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.410732
Long: 138.892616
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Local
Actual Event Start Date:13-September-1877
Actual Event End Date:13-September-1977

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 16th October, 1977
Front Inscription

Centenary of District Council of Hallett

1877 - 1977

In memory of our pioneers

Unveiled by E. J. Ashby, Chairman

16th October, 1977

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design