150th Anniversary of the Municipality of AdelaidePrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the Municipality of Adelaide in November 1840.  The Town Hall building underwent restoration to commemorate the event. 

The Adelaide City Council, properly The Council and Corporation of the City of Adelaide, was the first municipal corporation in Australia. It was formed in 1840 by the passage of the City of Adelaide Municipal Corporation Act. The first mayor was James Hurtle Fisher, and the first council meeting was held on 4 November 1840. Unfortunately, the new corporation suffered financial woes, as several of its actions were unauthorised or reversed by the Home (British) government, leading to considerable council debt. The corporation collapsed as insolvent in 1843. For the next six years the city was managed by the Police Commissioner.

In 1849 a new Board of City Commissioners were appointed, but this interim arrangement was short-lived, partly due to manpower shortages caused by the Victorian gold rushes. In 1852 the City Corporation was re-established under the Municipal Corporation Act of 1849. The city was divided into four wards led by aldermen and twelve councillors, one of whom was elected as mayor. 



Address:King William & Pirie Streets, Adelaide Town Hall, Adelaide, 5000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.926125
Long: 138.599923
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Actual Event Start Date:04-November-1840
Actual Event End Date:04-November-1990


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 5th November, 1990
Front Inscription

The Adelaide Town Hall

1840            Town Hall acre, No. 203, acquired for 12 Shillings
1850            Council Office building erected on part of acre 203
1863            Town Hall foundation stone laid
1866            Town Hall opened
1869             Prince Alfred Chambers and Queen`s Chambers completed
1875             Eagle Chambers completed
1877             First performance on original pipe organ
1880             Gladstone Chambers completed
1882             Addition of Council Chamber and Banquetting Room
1899             Dress Circle erected in auditorium
1914 - 1915  Town Hall additions erected and administration offices refurbished
1953 - 1958  Extensive changes to main entrance area, ground and first floor foyers, with access established between the Town Hall and adjoining  buildings
1979             Colonel Light Centre office building completed
1981             Renovation of old Methodist meeting hall completed
1982 - 1990  Restoration in four stages of the Town Hall complex and the establishment of the North and South Galleries.
                     The Installation of a new pipe organ.

This plaque was unveiled by the Right Honourable the Lord Mayor, Steve G. Condous, at a ceremony held on Monday, 5th November 1990, to re-open the restored Town Hall buildings, commemorating the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the Municipality of Adelaide on 4th November 1840, and thereby the commencement of local government in Australia.

Michael Llewellyn-Smith, M. A.  City Manager

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design