Centenary of District Council of Port WakefieldPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the District Council of Port Wakefield from 1878 to 1978.

The District Council of Port Wakefield was officially proclaimed along with its new neighbouring councils, Kulpara and Clinton, on 28 November 1878. It incorporated the entire Hundred of Inkerman as well as the western two thirds of the Hundred of Goyder and a small coastal portion of the Hundred of Clinton near the Wakefield port. The five inaugural councillors appointed on the date of the proclamation were John Rumble, John Smart, Richard Forrest, George Mayfield, and George F. Mills. In 1983 the Port Wakefield council ceased to exist when it amalgamated with the councils of Balaklava and Owen to form the District Council of Wakefield Plains. 




Address:Edward Street, Port Wakefield, 5550
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.185204
Long: 138.149642
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Approx. Event Start Date:1878
Approx. Event End Date:1978


Front Inscription

To commemorate the centenary of local government for the District Council of Port Wakefield

1878 - 1978.

The Corporation of Port Wakefield was proclaimed in 1881, and amalgamated with the District Council 1932.

Dedicated by : - Rev. R. K. Waters, Sec, Synod S.A. U.C.A.
Unveiled by :   - Mr E. K. Russack, M.P. Member for Goyder

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design