Centenary of Carrathool Shire Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaques commemorate the launching of the "Birds of the Bush" and the Tourist Information Windmill in Allan James Park in 2006 to commemorate the centenary of the Carrathool Shire. The Birds of the Bush Festival has been held every year in Rankins Springs since 2006. 

Carrathool Shire Council was proclaimed as Willandra Shire on 3 March 1906, starting from scratch without an office, staff and little finance. It was renamed the Carrathool Shire on 13 February 1907. The first meeting was reported to have been held in the Family Hotel Carrathool on 5 December 1906.


Address:Mid Western Highway (Boomerang Street), Allan James Park, Rankins Springs, 2669
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.841214
Long: 146.263046
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Approx. Event Start Date:1906
Approx. Event End Date:2006


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th November, 2006
Front Inscription
Plaque 1: 
The Rankins Springs
"Birds of the Bush"
was launched on the 
18th November 2006
by Mr. Raymond (Wally) Lamont
to commemorate the centenary of 
Carrathool Shire

Carrathool Shire Council 1906

Plaque 2: 
The Rankins Springs
Tourist Information Windmill
was opened by
Mr. Geoff Luelf
on the 18th November 2006
to commemorate the centenary of 
Carrathool Shire

Carrathool Shire Council 1906
The Windmill was donated to the Rankins Springs Community
by the Luelf Family

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design