www.monumentaustralia.org.au

125 Years of Local GovernmentPrint Page Print this page

07-May-2019
07-May-2019

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens
The plaque commemorates 125 years of local government in Holroyd.

Location

Address:Steele Street, Mays Hill Cemetery, Mays Hill, 2145
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.819118
Long: 150.993887
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Local
Actual Event Start Date:03-September-1872
Actual Event End Date:03-September-1997

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 15th June, 1997
Front Inscription

Genesis of Holroyd City

This plaque was unveiled by Councillor Stuart Graham - Mayor to commemorate 125 years of local government in Holroyd

It recognises the location of the inaugural Council meeting held in Whitworth Cottage on 3 September, 1872 on the corner of the Western Road and Smithfield Road (now Great Western Highway and Burnett Street) of the Municipality of Prospect and Sherwood

To acknowledge the efforts of the first Mayor, Judge Arthur Todd Holroyd

The ares was renamed in 1927 Muncipality of Holroyd
City status was granted 1 January 1991

Holroyd City Council term 1995 - 1991

North Ward         South Ward          East Ward      West Ward
R N Downing       J H Brodie           S Graham       A G Ezzy
P T J Herlinger    (Deputy Mayor)   (Mayor)           M J McLaughlin
Y Whitfield           V E McNeill          A M Pigram    K W Morrisey
J F Perry   M Tulloch

D Trezise - General Manager

C C Champion    M W Ismay          J Thompson    V K Munro
Director               Director                Director           Director

15 June 1997

1872  1997

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design