150th Anniversary of Local Government in GlebePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque states that the revitalisation of Foley Park and the Wireless House was undertaken to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Local Government in Glebe from 1859 to 2009. 

In the reign of George III, the Church of England was the Church dominant in Australia. Nonconformists were fined for not attending the parish church, the infant colony was divided into parishes, and large areas or glebe lands were set aside for the support of the Church. An area of 435 acres between Parramatta-road and Blackwattle and Rozelle bays was granted to the Church as St. Philip's Glebe.

Trustees were appointed 35 years after by Governor Ralph Darling, and certain portions of the glebe were auctioned. Hon. George Allen secured a block overlooking Johnston's Bay, and founded the Toxteth Park Estate. Ambrose Foss, a Sydney chemist, purchased another, built Forest Lodge Cottage, and made the nucleus of a suburb. Dr. Bowman built and founded Lyndhurst College; Captain Dumaresq, Captain Korff, and others secured lots, and gradually St. Phillip's Glebe became a residential district, known to all the city folk as The Glebe. The population of the glebe lands increased until, in 1859, the residents felt that they were quite equal to municipal honours. A movement was inaugurated with that end In view, and on August 1, Glebe became a municipality.
Except from Glebe Celebrations, Story of a Municipality
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW),  2 August 1909.


Address:Glebe Point Road & Bridge Road, Dr H. J. Foley Rest Park, Glebe , 2037
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.880391
Long: 151.186141
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Approx. Event Start Date:1859
Approx. Event End Date:2009


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 26th September, 2009
Front Inscription

Foley Park 

To mark the Glebe Sesquicentenary  the City of Sydney revitalised the iconic Dr H J Foley Park and its historic "Wireless House" 

Clover Moore.

Officially opened by Clover Moore MP
26 September 2009. 

Designed and constructed by  Aspet Studios and Landscape 2000 Pty. Ltd.

Wireless House 'reactivation' by Dr Nigel Heiyer supported by the National Film and Sound Archive.

CITY OF SYDNEY   city of villages

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design