Corio Shire HallPrint Page Print this page

Plaque Inscription : 16-April-2015
Plaque Inscription : 16-April-2015

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A plaque commemorates the use of the former Shire Hall as the Corio Council Chamber and Municipal Offices. The plaque unveiled in 1988 states that the building was used for this purpose from September 1874 to December 1937. The building was erected in 1864. 

The Shire of Corio was established in June 1864, and in the same month, D.K. Goodall, the recently appointed Shire engineer, advertised tenders for a new Shire Hall to be erected at Duck Ponds (Lara). Clements Nash, the successful tenderer, erected this rectangular plan building with gable roof bluestone construction, in four months in 1864. The headquarters of the Shire were transferred to Osborne House, North Geelong, in 1938. The former Shire of Corio offices extended in 1926 and subsequently further altered in the 1960s, are of historical importance to the Shire of Corio being the centre of local government administration from 1864 until 1938.


Address:McClelland Avenue, Lara RSL Club, Lara, 3212
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.023842
Long: 144.41323
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Approx. Event Start Date:September-1874
Approx. Event End Date:December-1937


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 23rd March, 1988
Front Inscription

Shire of Corio Australian Bicentenary activities

This plaque is to commemorate the use of this building as the Shire of Corio Council Chamber and Municipal Offices between September 1874 and December 1937

Unveiled on 23rd March 1988 by Cr. G. M. Vaughan, J.P. Shire President

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design