Centenary of the District Council of MarionPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the proclamation of the District Council of Marion in 1886.

The District Council of Brighton was established in 1853, centred at the then rural village of Marion (laid out in 1838), 10 kilometres south west of Adelaide. The district council was renamed to District Council of Marion in 1886 to distinguish it from the adjacent Town of Brighton, the latter having been detached from the Brighton district council in 1858. In 1944 the district council was gazetted a municipality and thereafter known as the City of Marion.


Address:245 Sturt Road, Administration Centre, City of Marion Council, Sturt, 5047
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.017666
Long: 138.551736
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Approx. Event Start Date:1886
Approx. Event End Date:1986


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 2nd September, 1986
Front Inscription

1886 - 1986

This plaque, which was unveiled on 2nd of September 1986, commemorates the centenary of the proclamation of the District Council of Marion.

100 Years of service

Council Members
Mayor           Mr. K. V. Hodgson
Aldermen    J. A. C. Comrie
                     G. T. Crunkhorn
                     C. M. Haynes
                     S. J. Magarron
                     C. G. Senior

Ward 1  D. L. Wenham  W. S. Woerlee
Ward 2  M. Cundy          N. W. Grove
Ward 3  G. H. Hughes    G. K. Watts
Ward 4  W. E. Coomans M. Schulze
Ward 5  M. R. Sansom   W. D. Woodhouse

Executive Staff
Town Clerk                 Mr. K. F. Usher
City Engineer            Mr. R. W. Atkin
Deputy Town Clerk   Mr. J. S. Tate
Accountant                Mr. R. L. Molden


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design