Visit of Queen Elizabeth IIPrint Page Print this page

Queen Elizabeth Park : 02-December-2012
Queen Elizabeth Park : 02-December-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The park and entrance gates were erected to commemorate the visit of Queen Elizabeth II to Mount Gambier in February 1954.

Plans for entrance gates to the camping ground and lakes prepared by  the Municipal Engineer (Mr. A. R. Griffiths) provide for an archway over the drive bearing the name "Queen Elizabeth Park."  Mr. Griffiths showed the plan to the Town Council at its special Budget session, when £300 was placed on the Budget for the gates. Mr. Griffiths said the two main pillars would be built of dressed pink dolomite, the two outer pillars of grey dolomite, the archway and two small footpath gates of steel. The main columns have electric light fittings.  Members of the Council were impressed with the plans.
Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA), 6 October 1953.

Queen Elizabeth II (21 April 1926 – 8 September 2022) was the longest serving English monarch, who reigned from 6 February 1952 to 8 September 2022 a period of over 70 years.



Address:Riddoch Highway & Davison Drive, Queen Elizabeth Park, Mount Gambier, 5290
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.845494
Long: 140.769981
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Government
Actual Event Start Date:26-February-1954
Actual Event End Date:26-February-1954
Designer:Mr. A. R. Griffiths


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1954
Front Inscription

Queen Elizabeth Park  

Right Side Inscription

Erected in commemoration of the visit of Queen Elizabeth II,

Feb. 1954.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design