Diamond Jubilee of Queen VictoriaPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland
The black oak trees were planted to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The avenue leading from Main Road, New Town, to the Orphan School buildings was an integral part of John Lee Archer's original design for the church.

Although Blackburn's watch houses were not built until 1841, Charles Bruce's etching in 1831 depicts two watchhouses in a similar location. While there is no evidence that they were built, the avenue itself was an original strong design feature.  Blackburn's watch houses still stand at the entrance to St John's Avenue.
In the 1920s, the Church of England red-brick rectory was constructed at the end of the avenue, near St John's Church. A smaller weatherboard building, now used as St John's Parish Centre, was constructed opposite at a much later date.
Victoria (24 May 1819 – 22 January 1901) was Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 20 June 1837 until her death. From 1 May 1876, she adopted the additional title of Empress of India. With a reign of 63 years, seven months and two days, Victoria was the longest -reigning British monarch and the longest-reigning queen regnant in world history until her great-great-granddaughter Queen Elizabeth II surpassed her on 9 September 2015.

Queen Victoria`s birthday, 24th May, used to be called `Empire Day`. There were special assemblies at school with songs praising the British Empire. Children were then given a half-day holiday. Up to the 1950s, Empire Day was celebrated in Australia with huge bonfires and fireworks.


Address:St John`s Avenue, New Town, 7008
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.854883
Long: 147.297419
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Trees
Monument Theme:Government
Actual Event Start Date:20-June-1837
Actual Event End Date:20-June-1897


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1897
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design