Diamond Jubilee of Queen VictoriaPrint Page Print this page

Queen Victoria Jubilee Window : 25-December-2011
Queen Victoria Jubilee Window : 25-December-2011

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

A stained glass window commemorates sixty years of the reign of Queen Victoria.

On 23 September 1896, Victoria surpassed her grandfather George III as the longest-reigning monarch in English, Scottish, and British history. The Queen requested that any special celebrations be delayed until 1897, to coincide with her Diamond Jubilee, which was made a festival of the British Empire at the suggestion of Colonial Secretary Joseph Chamberlain.

A stained-glass window, somewhat unusual in conception, was placed in Christ Church, Castlemaine, in honour of the Queen’s reign, and unveiled by the mayor of the town on Accession Day. The “Subject” of the window is “The Light of the World.” In the centre light Christ is represented shedding light in all directions. This falls, in the left hand light, on the Jewish race, represented by Abraham and David. In the right-hand light the Gentile world, represented by Cornelius, the centurion, and the Ethiopian whom Philip baptized, is shown, also receiving light from Christ. Cornelius is kneeling, in armour, with Roman eagle. &c.; the Ethiopian holding a scroll of Isaiah. Below the figure of Christ, between Jews and Gentiles, is Saul of Tarsus, struck down by the light. In the tracery above Christ is shown as “ruler of the kings of the earth.” A suitable inscription is on the glass below. Mr. Montgomery, of Flinders-street, designed and executed the whole work.
The Argus (Melbourne), 24th July 1897.


Address:8 Mostyn Street, Christ Church, Castlemaine, 3450
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.065717
Long: 144.215106
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Government
Actual Event Start Date:20-June-1837
Actual Event End Date:20-June-1897


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 20th June, 1897
Front Inscription

To the glory of God and to commemorate the sixtieth year of Queen Victoria`s happy reign.

Erected by past and present parishioners 20th June 1897

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design