www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Prince Consort WindowPrint Page Print this page

17-April-2019
17-April-2019

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The three light stained glass window commemorates His Royal Highness, Prince Albert, the Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha who was the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria.

The window was originally unveiled in St Pauls Cathedral, Melbourne in 1877.  The window was removed from St Pauls Cathedral, Melbourne in 1886 and installed in the South Transept of St John`s Anglican Church in 1889. The window was restored by Geoffrey Wallace`s Stained Glass Studios in 2011

On 10 February 1840, Queen Victoria married Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (he later took the title of Prince Consort). They were married at the Chapel Royal, St. James Palace in London. This was the first marriage of a reigning English Queen since Queen Mary in 1554. Victoria and Albert were married for 21 years, remaining together until his death on 14 December 1861. The Queen was distraught at his passing; her diaries describe how reliant the couple were on each other practically, politically and emotionally. After his death, the Queen wore black in mourning for the rest of her life, earning the nickname the 'widow of Windsor'.

St Paul`s Pro Cathedral, which is being pulled down to make room for the new cathedral, has an interesting history.  The window in the chancel is a beautiful work of art, illustrative of the ancestry and life of the Prince Consort. The design has been most carefully studied, and every detail is in harmony with and descriptive of some national emblems or traits of Prince Albert, and only that the chancel is in an unsuitable placet o disclose the beauties of the window, it would have been far more noted and prized than it is. The window was at first intended to be the gift of the public, and one of the lady members of St. Paul's Church collected £50 towards paying for it, but the Rev. Canon Chase at that stage presented the window, and at his request the subscriptions were devoted to the general building fund. Now that the church is being pulled down, the Building Committee have placed the window at the disposal of the donor, as the subjects of the windows of the new cathedral have already been chosen; and the Rev. Canon Chase is willing to present his gift to the Working Men's College, which it is thought it would most appropriately adorn, considering how actively the PrinceConsort exerted himself in the cause of social progress.
Excerpt from Australasian Sketcher (Adelaide), 27 July 1885.

 

Location

Address:Point Nepean Road, St John`s Anglican Church, Sorrento, 3943
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.330917
Long: 144.738033
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Imperial
Monument Manufacturer:Ferguson & Urie

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1877
Front Inscription

[Across All Windows]
In Memory Of His Royal Highness Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emmanuel Prince Consort Duke Of Saxe-Coburg And Gotha Born August 1819  Married February 1840  Died December 1861

Fear God Honour the King

Plaque :

THE WINDOW ABOVE
TRANSFERRED 1886 FROM
ST PAUL`S CHURCH MELBOURNE

      A MEMORIAL 
          To
PRINCE CONSORT
    Presented by
CANON S. L. CHASE, M.A.
          Father Of
REV. A. PELHAM CHASE, B.A. 
Minister Of This Church Of St John 
       1886 - 1890 
Who Died Jan. 3rd 1946.
"Blessed Are The Dead Which Die In The Lord."  Rev. XIV. 13

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design