www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Peace LoanPrint Page Print this page

The plaque commemorates the over-subscription to the Peace Loan in 1919.

During World War One, to finance the war the Commonwealth had a series of war loans, and then peace loans. To recover the cost of the war and fund soldier pensions the government launched 'Peace Loan' campaigns after the war. Peace loans were similar to the war loans where people loaned money to the government and received interest.

Hindmarsh Town Hall, Official Opening Ceremony.
It was originally intended that the ex-mayor (Mr. J. F. King) should unveil the peace loan tablet, but owing to illness he was unable to do so. In his absence the ex-mayor's only daughter (Mrs. T. Smith) performed the ceremony. The tablet was presented to the town by ihe Commonwealth Government for having oversubscribed its quota to the peace loan. Mrs. Smith was thanked a the instance of Councillor W. E. Dennis. 
Excerpt from Daily Herald (Adelaide), 22 April 1920.

Location

Address:Hindmarsh Place, Hindmarsh Historical Society Museum, Hindmarsh, 5007
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.907786
Long: 138.569783
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Federal
Link:http://www.rslvirtualwarmemorial.or…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 21st April, 1920
Front Inscription

Commonwealth of Australia
         PEACE LOAN
          A. D. 1919
To Commemorate The Oversubscription
Of The Allocated Quota Of This Loan
                 By
THE TOWN OF HINDMARSH
J. F. King          Mayor
W. A. Watt        W. M. Hughes      
Treasurer          Prime Minister 

Source: RVWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design