www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Peace LoanPrint Page Print this page

28-March-2014
28-March-2014
Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The plaque commemorates the over-subscription to the Peace Loan in 1919.

During World War One, to finance the war the Commonwealth had a series of war loans, and then peace loans. To recover the cost of the war and fund soldier pensions the government launched 'Peace Loan' campaigns after the war. Peace loans were similar to the war loans where people loaned money to the government and received interest.

Moonta Town Council, Thursday August 12. From secretary to Moonta Second Peace Loan Committee (Mr C. R. Trathen), that the committee had decided that the bronze tablet given to the town and district of Moonta by the Federal Government for raising double the amount alllocated for the First Peace Loan be handed over to the town council with a request that it be placed in a prominent public position. Received; tablet to be affixed to outer wall of council offices. 
Yorke's Peninsula Advertiser (SA), 13 August 1920.

Location

Address:George & Henry Streets, Moonta Institute, Moonta, 5558
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.067174
Long: 137.589696
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Federal
Actual Event Start Date:
Actual Event End Date:

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1920
Front Inscription

Commonwealth of Australia

Peace Loan
A. D. 1919

To commemorate the oversubscription of the allocated quota of this loan by the Municipality of Moonta

R. Learmond    Mayor

W. A. Watt        Treasurer
W. M. Hughes   Prime Minister 

Source: RVWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design