www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Refurbishment & Rededication of Canberra MK20- A84-235 Print Page Print this page

24-April-2019
24-April-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque commemorates the refurbishment of the aircraft and rededication of Canberra MK20-A84-235 as a gate guardian for RAAF Base Wagga. 

Location

Address:Sturt Highway & Newton Road, RAAF Base Wagga , Forest Hill , 2651
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.149319
Long: 147.468167
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Federal

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 11th May, 2011
Front Inscription
2 Squadron                   Wagga 
Royal Australian            Royal Australian
Air Force                       Air Force 
Consilio Et Manu          We prepare

              A84 - 235
This plaque commemorates the completion of refurbishment work on the aircraft and the re-dedication of the Canberra Mk 20, A84-235 as a gate guardian fror RAAF Base Wagga.

Re-dedicated on 11 May 2011 by
GPCAPT Richardson, Director Air Force Heritage
                  and
Mr Lance Halvorsen, No 2 Squadron Navigator who flew operational sorties in this aircraft in Vietnam in 1967. 


This aircraft enjoyed a long and distinguished career with the RAAF and has been Refurbished and unveiled on the 62nd anniversary of the prototype Canberra`s first flight in 1949. A brief history of A84-235's service is displayed below. 
22 Oct 1956     The aircraft was acquired by the Royal Australian Air Force and serialed A84-235. It was allocated to 1 Aircraft Depot (1AD) at Laverton, Victoria, Australia.
06 Dec 1956    The aircraft was allocated to No 82 Wing, at Amberley, Queensland, Australia.
15 Mar 1960     The aircraft was allocated to No 2 Squadron. Served with 2 Squadron in Vietnam as part of USAF 35th Tactical Fighter Wing. Arrived at Phan Rang Air Base 05/67. Returned to Australia 1970.
18 Dec 1979    The aircraft was allocated to the Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ADRU) at Edinburgh, South Australia. 
02 Aug 1982    The aircraft was allocated to RAAF School of Technical Training (RAAFSTT) at Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia.
1990s               The aircraft was allocated as a gate guardian for RAAF Base Wagga and took pride of place at the front of the base where it stands today. 
 



 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design