www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Construction of New Parliament HousePrint Page Print this page

04-January-2016
04-January-2016

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers
The plaque commemorates the start of the construction of the new Parliament House in November 1981.

Parliament House is the meeting place of the Parliament of Australia, located in Canberra, the capital of Australia. The building was designed by Mitchell/Giurgola & Thorp Architects and opened on 9 May 1988 by Queen Elizabeth II.  It cost more than A$1.1 billion to build.

Federal Parliament meetings were first held in Melbourne until 1927. Between 1927 and 1988, the Parliament of Australia met in the Provisional Parliament House, which is now known as "Old Parliament House". Construction of Australia's permanent Parliament House was delayed while its location was debated. Construction of the new building began in 1981. The principal design of the structure is based on the shape of two boomerangs and is topped by an 81-metre (266 ft) flagpole. 

Location

Address:Parliament Drive, Parliament House, Great Hall, Capital Hill, 2600
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.307614
Long: 149.124903
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Federal

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 12th November, 1981
Front Inscription

This plaque was unveiled by the Right Honourable Malcolm Fraser, C.H., M.P. Prime Minister on 12 November, 1981

To commemorate the start of building construction of the new Parliament House

The Hon. Michael Hodgman, M.P.  Minister for the Capital Territory  

 Sir Bernard Callinan, C.B.E., D.S.O., M.C. Chairman Parliament House Construction Authority 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design