www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Peace LoanPrint Page Print this page

21-May-2014
21-May-2014
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque commemorates the over-subscription to the Peace Loan in 1919.

During World War One, to finance the war the Commonwealth had a series of war loans, and then peace loans. To recover the cost of the war and fund soldier pensions the government launched 'Peace Loan' campaigns after the war. Peace loans were similar to the war loans where people loaned money to the government and received interest.

Location

Address:Peg Leg & Sailors Gully Roads, Eaglehawk Town Hall, Eaglehawk, 3556
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.717276
Long: 144.251261
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Federal

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1919
Front Inscription

Commonwealth of Australia

Peace Loan
A. D. 1919

To commemorate the oversubscription of the allocated quota of this loan by the Borough of Eaglehawk

R. Murdoch       Mayor

W. A. Watt         Treasurer
W. M. Hughes   Prime Minister 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design