www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Peace LoanPrint Page Print this page

06-March-2014
06-March-2014
Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The plaque commemorates the over-subscription to the Peace Loan in 1919.

During World War One, to finance the war the Commonwealth had a series of war loans, and then peace loans. To recover the cost of the war and fund soldier pensions the government launched 'Peace Loan' campaigns after the war. Peace loans were similar to the war loans where people loaned money to the government and received interest.

With regard to the bronze tablet tablet with coat of arms which the Green Ponds Municipality won by more than doubling its quota in the Peace Loan, the municipality has decided to mount it on blackwood, and hang it in the Victoria hall, Kempton. The Hamilton Municipality have decided to place the tablet in the Hamilton hall, with the honour roll and it is hoped, if the honour roll is ready, to arrange with Sir John Gellibrand to unveil both of them.
The Mercury (Hobart), 8th July 1920.

Location

Address:Tarleton Street, Council Offices, Hamilton, 7140
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.559929
Long: 146.829971
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Federal

Dedication

Front Inscription

Commonwealth of Australia

Peace Loan
A. D. 1919.

To commemorate the subscription of double the allocated quota of this loan by the Municipality of Hamilton

W. H. Dixon      Warden

W. A. Watt        Treasurer
W. M. Hughes   Prime Minister 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design