www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sydney to Parramatta RailwayPrint Page Print this page

04-June-2018
04-June-2018

Photographs supplied by Arthur Naylor

The monument commemorates the opening of the Sydney to Parramatta railway in 1855. The second railway line in Australia and the first in Sydney. The Parramatta terminus was adjacent to the monument. 

In 1849, the Sydney Railway Company started building the first railway track in New South Wales between Sydney and Parramatta - a distance of 22 kilometres.

The project ran into financial difficulty and was taken over by the New South Wales colonial government. The line opened on 26 September 1855. The station opened in 1860 as Parramatta Junction, and is close to the original terminus of the first railway line in New South Wales which was completed in 1855.

Location

Address:Woodville Road & Crescent Street, Crescent Street Reserve, Granville, 2142
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.829049
Long: 151.004006
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Actual Event Start Date:26-September-1855
Actual Event End Date:26-September-1855

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 26th September, 1065
Front Inscription

1855                                              1955

ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE OPENING OF THE  
SYDNEY TO PARRAMATTA RAILWAY
26TH. SEPTEMBER 1855.
THIS WAS THE FIRST SECTION OF THE NEW SOUTH 
WALES RAILWAYS AND THE FIRST STATE OWNED
STEAM RAILWAY IN THE BRITISH EMPIRE.
THE PARRAMATTA TERMINUS WAS ADJACENT 
TO THIS MONUMENT.

UNVEILED BY HIS EXCELLENCY , LIEUT.-GEN. 
SIR JOHN NORTHCOTT, K.G.M.G., K.C.V.O,. C.B.,
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES,
26TH. SEPTEMBER 1955.

 

Department Of Railways               A.R.H.S.
New South Wales                          R.A.H.S.

Back Inscription

This monument was erected by the Department of Railways.
The stones are from the original Lewisham Viaduct completed
in 1855, the first stone railway viaduct in Australia.
Construction of the railway, begun by the Sydney Railway
Company in 1850, was completed by the Government in 1855
This tablet and the plaque, which is of metal originally used
as Builders` nameplates on locomotives no longer in service,
were presented by the Australian Railway Historical Society
and the Royal Australian Historical Society.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design