www.monumentaustralia.org.au

First Rifle Range in South Park LandsPrint Page Print this page

17-June-2020
17-June-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque marks the site of the first rifle range in South Park Lands from 1859 to 1878 for the purpose of military practice and to encourage rifle shooting in the defence of the colony. 

Location

Address:Sir Lewis Cohen Avenue, South Park Lands, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.937925
Long: 138.594814
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Approx. Event Start Date:Circa 1859
Approx. Event End Date:1878

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 5th January, 1986
Front Inscription

South Australian Rifle Association Inc.

This plaque marks the site of the first rifle range in South Park Lands (circa) 1859 - 1878 for the purpose of military practice to encourage rifle shooting namely the volunteers, to aid and defend this Colony at all times.

Unveiled 5thJanuary 1986 by the Commander of the 4th Military District Brigadier T. F. H. Walker


 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design