www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Australasian Federal ConventionPrint Page Print this page

12-January-2021
12-January-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates the Australasian Federal Convention which opened in Adelaide on the 22nd March 1897. The plaque is located on the North Terrace facade of Parliament House.

The Australasian Federal Convention – was held in stages in 1897 and 1898. Unlike the first convention of 1891, the delegates were elected by popular vote. It met first in Adelaide in March 1897, secondly in Sydney in August, and thirdly in Melbourne in the sweltering heat of January 1898. The intervals between the sessions were used for intense debate in the colonial parliaments and for public discussion of the draft constitution.

Since 1891 New Zealand had lost interest in federating with the Australian colonies, and was not represented. In Queensland, the parliament had not passed the necessary legislation, so the northern colony was also unrepresented. In the other five colonies ten delegates from each colony were elected by the people, although Western Australian attendance was sporadic. At Melbourne the convention finally produced a draft constitution which was eventually approved by the people at referendums in the colonies.

This afternoon the Governor (Sir Willoughby Norrie), accompanied by Lady Norrie and attended by Capt. R. J. Owen, unveiled a plaque at Parliament House to commemorate the Federal Constitutional Convention, which opened in Adelaide on March 22. 1897.
News (Adelaide), 22 March 1951.

Location

Address:North Terrace & King William Road, Parliament House, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.921394
Long: 138.598653
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Actual Event Start Date:22-March-1897
Actual Event End Date:05-May-1897

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 22nd March, 1951
Front Inscription

Australasian Federal Convention

Adelaide Meeting
March 22nd - May 5th 1897

President - Hon. Charles Cameron Kingston, Q. C., M. P.
Chairman - Hon. Sir Richard Chaffey Baker, K.C. M. G., M. L. C. 
Clerk - Edwin Gordon Blackmore

This tablet was erected to commemorate the framing and the adoption by the Convention of the Draft Bill for a Federal Constitution for Australasia.

The Drafting Committee consisted of :-
Edmund Barton, Q. C.
Hon. Sir John William Downer, Q. C., K. C. M. G., M. P. 
Hon. Richard Edward O`Conner, Q. C., M. L. C.

Unveiled March 22nd 1951

Source: RGSSA, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design