www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Wagga Wagga Post Office Building Print Page Print this page

21-April-2019
21-April-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the former Wagga Wagga Post Office building which was opened in 1888. 

In 1886, plans began to be made for a new Post Office. It was to be for postal purposes only – the telegraph services were to remain in the old building. This new office was constructed next door to the existing Post Office, the building that is currently the Wagga Wagga Court Office. 

On the Tuesday following the opening of the new building on August 6, 1888, the Editor of the Wagga Wagga Advertiser gave a scathing, and at times, sarcastic, report on the ‘Government Job’: "The cheap and nasty’ character of this building, viewed externally, has long been the subject of common talk

He went on to extend that criticism to the interior: "The Post Master’s office is not much larger than a good sized bathroom which may, perhaps, account for the absence of a fireplace, or any heating apparatus."

"It is nothing new to discover a want of capacity on the part of the Colonial Architect’s Department; but in the present instance that Department would seem to have excelled all previous efforts in the same direction…"

"From whatever point of view regarded the new Post-office appears to be a Government ‘job’ of a very decided, not to say characteristic, sort." 

The new arrangement of separate offices for post and telegraph only remained in place for only a few years for, in 1895, additions began on the Post Office so that telegraph services could again be conducted in the same building. 

In 1993, the Post Office moved from the building it had been in for over 100 years to Best Place at the corner of Baylis and Morrow Streets; three years later, another move was made to the newly established Wagga Wagga Marketplace. 
Wagga Wagga Post Office Centenary booklet, 1888-1988.

Location

Address:51 Fitzmaurice Street, Former Post Office Building, Wagga Wagga, 2650
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.106736
Long: 147.370362
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Actual Event Start Date:06-August-1888
Actual Event End Date:06-August-1988

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES 
THE CENTENARY OF 
WAGGA WAGGA 
POST OFFICE BUILDING
WHICH WAS OPENED ON 6 AUGUST 1888.
1888 — 1988
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design