www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Bowen Court House PlaquePrint Page Print this page

25-October-2018
25-October-2018

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates the establishment of the first Northern Supreme Court in Bowen in October 1874 and the completion of the building in 1881. 

As Bowen was declared a District Court circuit town in 1865 and the Northern Supreme Court in 1874, a new courthouse was constructed in 1881 on the corner of Herbert and Williams Streets. Since its construction, the building has housed the Northern Supreme Court, Bowen Post Office, Government offices, as well as accommodating Judges, court officers and Government officials.

Bowen. [From Our Correspondent] November 5.
The building lately occupied by the Police Court, Lands Office and Bond Department, has been taken possession of by the officials of the Supreme Court, who intend using it for the Court and other necessary offices belonging thereto until such times as it may please the Government to erect more suitable buildings. The officers of the Supreme Court hope that it will not be removed from Bowen, as they think the place beautiful and healthy for residence, time central and suitable for the business of the Supreme Court. The Police Court has been removed to the Immigration Depot, where it formerly was, but of course will have to be again shifted when an emigrant ship comes to our port. 
Brisbane Courier (Qld.), 14 November 1874.

Location

Address:28 Williams Street, Bowen Court House, Bowen, 4805
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -20.013041
Long: 148.247202
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Actual Event Start Date:18-October-1874
Actual Event End Date:18-October-1874

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 30th January, 1967
Front Inscription

BOWEN COURT HOUSE

This Plaque Was Unveiled
              By
HON P. R. DELAMOTHE O.B.E.  M.B.  B. S.  M.L.A.
Minister For Justice And Attorney-General
On January 30th 1967
In Commemoration Of The Establishment
At Bowen Of The First Northern
Supreme Court October 18th 1874 And
Completion Of This Building August 2nd 1881
  Bowen Historical Society

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design