www.monumentaustralia.org.au

First Mainland Survey by Colonel William LightPrint Page Print this page

15-November-2014
15-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole
The cairn commemorates the first mainland survey undertaken by Colonel William Light in September 1836.

In 1948 a plaque was added to the cairn to commemorate Matthew Flinders naming of Cape Jervis on the 23rd March 1802.

A picnic was held at the Rapid Bay Beach on Saturday afternoon, when there were about 600 people present. After lunch Mr. G. Roper requested the Surveyor-General (Mr T. E. Day) to unveil the cairn, a replica of the stone inscribed by Colonel Light in 1836 (the original of which is in the Adelaide Museum), which had been erected on the spot. Mr. Day outlined the finding of the stone and stated that the stone which was to be unveiled that afternoon was to commemorate the work of Colonel Light for the district and the State. It was 92 years ago that day that Colonel Light was appointed the first Surveyor-General of South Australia. He dealt with the landing at Antechamber Bay, the exploration of the Gulf of St. Vincent, and the landing at Rapid Bay. The original stone was meant to mark the spot where he first landed, and was found by Mr. H. Hamlyn in 1921. Mr. Hamlyn, who was present at the gathering, told the story of the finding of the stone, and a picture of the brig Rapid, anchored in Rapid Bay, was presented to Mr. Roper.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 6 February 1928.  

Location

Address:2 Park Street, Second Valley Caravan Park, Second Valley, 5204
State:SA
Area:AUUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.573695
Long: 138.218676
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Actual Event Start Date:08-September-1836

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 6th February, 1928
Front Inscription

This Memorial
Erected In 1928 By Residents
Commemorates The First Mainland Survey Of
COLONEL WILLIAM LIGHT
Surveyor-General
Who Landed From His Vessel Rapid On September
8th 1836 And Surveyed And Named This Valley.
The Stone Inscribed W. L. 1836
Is A Relic Of That Survey.

Right Side Inscription

Matthew Flinders R. N. 
( 1774 - 1814 )
Commander Of H.M. Sloop "Investigator"
Discovered And On 23 March 1802
When On Kangaroo Island Named
      Cape Jervis
After John Jervis, Admiral Lord St. Vincent,
First Lord Of The Admirality.
Unveiled Pioneers Day April 1948.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design