"SS Glenelg"Print Page Print this page

SS Glenelg
SS Glenelg

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

A monument commemorates the officers, crew and pasengers who perished in the "SS Glenelg" which foundered off Lakes Entrance in 1900.  Only three crew survived the disaster.

The Victorian Marine Court found that the accident which foundered the ship killing thirty-one people was an "Act of God" and that the ship sprung an unidentifiable leak. The court found the steamer was fit for use and justified in putting to sea.

The decision caused an outcry from many who heard evidence from seamen that the ship`s crank shaft was cracked and that plates which covered the holes in its hull were only 1/18th of an inch thick. One witness declared in evidence that rotten portions of the steamship`s underside were covered with paint in the hope that it would hold for a while. The Bulletin newspaper condemned the findings saying 'that the verdict of the courts exonerates the owners and surveyors.'


Address:Esplanade, Lakes Entrance, 3909
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.880579
Long: 147.988882
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Actual Event Start Date:25-March-1900
Actual Event End Date:25-March-1900


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 25th March, 2000
Front Inscription
Passengers               Officers & Crew
[ Names]                      [Names] 
                                    [ Names] 
       Argus February 1900

550 MILES   20/-    550 MILES 
Cheap Holiday Excursion to Bairnsdale, Bruthen, Omeo, Mossiface, Orbost, Glen Wills, Cassilis, Cunninghame, Bullumwall & San Remo

Deck Cabins  S.S. GLENELG  Stewardess
Leaves South Wharf every Wednesday at 4.p.m.
Steamer traverses whole of beautiful lakes
Passes Wilsons Promotory and adjacent islands in daylight. 
Saloon 10/- return 20/-   Steerage 7/6 return 12/6
Owners C. Carpenter, C. Jackson & J. Eberker 372 Flinders Street

"S.S. GLENELG foundered off Lakes Entrance at 4 am. March 25, 1900. Only three crew survived the disaster. Several bodies, some of which remain unidentified, were found on Ninety Mile Beach, near Ocean Grange. Erected March 25, 2000 by descendants of Charles Jackson, John Burke, David Fyfie, Thomas Hatfield & Janet Boyd.  
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design