Linda MemorialPrint Page Print this page

23-June-2009 (Diane Watson)
23-June-2009 (Diane Watson)

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The Linda Memorial was erected to commemorate those who have died in accidents in Mount Morgan Mine from 1894 to 1909.

On 5 November 1908, an accident occurred in the Linda section of the mine in which seven men where killed. Widespread concern and sympathy were evoked and a large public funeral was held. Five more miners were killed on 4 November of that year and a monument was erected for all who had died as the result of accidents in the Mount Morgan Mine; a total of 26 miners between 3 December 1894 and 28 July 1909.

THE LINDA MONUMENT UNVEILING CEREMONY. The monument erected in the Mount Morgan cemetery to the memory of the men who were killed in the mine accidents in September and November of last year was unveiled by the Mayor (Alderman J. Morrison) recently, in the presence of a very large assemblage. Mr. R. Honeywell (assistant mine manager), on behalf of the committee, asked the Mayor to perform the unveiling ceremony. The Mount Morgan Band, under the conductorship of Mr. J. L. McKelvie, then rendered the Dead March from "Saul." At the conclusion the Mayor said : "The idea of the monument emanated from the workers in the mine. I wish also to thank the thousands of subscribers to this beautiful monument, and also the Mount Morgan G.M. Company for the many favours they have granted the committee."

All the stone for this memorial came from the quarries of Mr. George Miller, Helidon, Queensland. The memorial was designed and carried out by Messrs. Busby and Thurlow, Brisbane, and the work has given entire satisfaction to the committee. 
The Queenslander (Brisbane,), 27 November 1909.


Address:East Street South, Cemetery, Mount Morgan, 4714
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -23.65825
Long: 150.3886
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Actual Event Start Date:03-December-1894
Actual Event End Date:28-July-1909
Monument Manufacturer:Busby & Thurlow (Toowong, QLD)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 7th November, 1909
Front Inscription

Their Fellow Workmen And Citizens
      To the memory of
The Miners Who Have Lost Their Lives
In The Mount Morgan Mine

Unveiled 7th November, 1909


Left Side Inscription

And These Men Killed In The
Accident On 4th. November 1908
Who Are Buried Here

        [ Names ]

Back Inscription

[ Names ]

Right Side Inscription

And These Men Killed In The
Accident Of 5th. September, 1908

[ Names ]

All Of Whom Lie Buried Here And 

[ Names ]

Who Are Buried In Gympie

Source: MA,QHR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au