Jim Comerford Memorial WallPrint Page Print this page

Jim Comerford Memorial Wall : 9-August-2014
Jim Comerford Memorial Wall : 9-August-2014

Photographs supplied by Stephen Woods

The Jim Comerford Memorial Wall commemorates the 1795 miners who lost their lives in the Northern Districts coalmines and mining leases since 1801.

It was constructed in 1995 at a cost of $160,000 as a tribute by the Northern District Branch of the United Mineworkers` to the men and boys who have lost their lives in the mines or on mining leases in the Northern District since 1801. The records show that the youngest was 11-year-old Robert Irving, a driver boy who was killed at the Co-operative Colliery at Plattsburgh on February 16, 1883, when he was "run over by loaded skips". The oldest fatality was Robert Williamson who was killed at aged 76 at the A.A. Company Colliery No 2 when a large mass of coal gave way and buried him. After being rescued, he lingered for a while then died.

The wall was named as a tribute to one of the Union`s most respected leaders, Jim Comerford, who passed away on November 3, 2006, at the age of 93.


Address:67A Aberdare Road, CFMEU, Aberdare, 2325
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.842639
Long: 151.372231
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Designer:Carl Merten


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 10th February, 1996
Front Inscription

The Comerford Memorial Wall

Remember before God the men and boys who gave their lives in Northern District mines

[ Names ]

Plaque :

The Jim Comerford Commemorative Wall  

Opened by the Rt. Hon. P. J. Keating
10th February 1996

M. J. Watson  President
R. P. Land      Secretary

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au