Eastern Goldfields Miners Memorial Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Moya Sharp

The Eastern Goldfields Miners Memorial commemorates those who have died in mining accidents in the Goldfields since 1892, as well as serving as a reminder of the importance of mine safety. 

The wall, located at the Western Australian Museum in Kalgoorlie, is more than 10 metres long and 2.5 metres high. The wall currently contains the names of 1484 individuals including two women.

The concept of an Eastern Goldfields Miners Memorial was first conceived in 2004 by Mr James Donnelly and he was the inaugural chairman of the committee. Over the years Mr Donnelly was well known for his involvement in the Mine Rescue competitions on the Goldfields.

The committee decided that only those deaths that occurred due to accident on a mine site in the performance of their duties within the following nine goldfields fields:

East Coolgardie (Which includes the Golden Mile)
Coolgardie (Includes Kambalda)
Broad Arrow
Yilgarn (Southern Cross District)
Dundas (Norseman District)
East Murchison (Sandstone district)
Mount Morgans (Wiluna, Leonora ansd Laverton Districts)
North Coolgardie (Menzies District)
North East Coolgardie (Kanowna District)




Address:17 Hannan Street, Museum of the Goldfields, Kalgoorlie, 6430
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.743754
Long: 121.47693
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st March, 2014
Front Inscription

Eastern Goldfields Miners Memorial 

Dedicated to the memory of all those who accidentally lost their lives whilst working in our mining industry

1st March 2014

Unveiled by Hon. W. R. Marmion BE, MBA, MLA Minister for Mines and Petroleum

Dedicated by the Most Revd. Roger Herft AM Archbishop of Western Australia

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au