www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Derby Flood of 1929Print Page Print this page

10-May-2016 (Arthur Garland)
10-May-2016 (Arthur Garland)

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Arthur Garland

The monument, featuring a sculpture of a grieving woman and child, commemorates the fourteen people who died in Derby in the flood of 1929. 

On the 4th April 1929, following record rainfall, the dam which provided the water used by the Briseis Tin Mine collapsed and a wall of water up to a hundred feet high surged towards the town. The volume of water was so huge that it caused the Ringarooma River to reverse the direction of its flow as far as Branxholm about five miles upstream.

The flood devastated Derby. Fourteen people died, scores of buildings were destroyed and operations at the mine were brought to a standstill.

Location

Address:55 Main Street (Tasman Highway) , Tin Dragon Interpretation Centre , Derby, 7264
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.14708
Long: 147.801446
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Sub-Theme:Flood
Actual Event Start Date:04-April-1929
Actual Event End Date:04-April-1929
Artist:Jeff Gatt

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 8th April, 2006
Front Inscription

This monument is dedicated to the memory of the fourteen Derby residents who lost their lives on the 4th April 1929 when disaster hit the town and the Briseis Mine was flooded.

[ Names ]

Remembered always.

A Derby Community Development Assoc, Inc, Project 2006.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design