Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The monument commemorates the former Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, which was destroyed in the February 1967 bushfires, an event which became known as the Black Tuesday bushfires. The memorial plaque sits on a cairn of stones and was erected with the support of locals who worshipped in the church. 

The fires were the most deadly bushfires that Tasmania has ever experienced, leaving 62 people dead, 900 injured and over seven thousand homeless.

125 separate fire fronts burnt through some 2,642.7 square kilometres (653,025.4 acres) of land in Southern Tasmania within the space of five hours. Fires raged from near Hamilton, Tasmania and Bothwell, Tasmania to the D`Entrecasteaux Channel as well as Snug. There was extensive damage to agricultural property near the channel, the Derwent Valley and the Huon Valley. Fires also destroyed forest, public infrastructure and properties around Mount Wellington and many small towns along the Derwent estuary and east of Hobart.


Address:Cemetery Road, Flowerpot, 7130
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -43.212206
Long: 147.257824
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Actual Event Start Date:07-February-1967
Actual Event End Date:07-February-1967


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 11th February, 2007
Front Inscription

Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church
Stood On This Site 1915 - 1967
Destroyed February 7th 1967 Bush Fires

This Memorial Plaque Was Blessed By Father Chris Hope
On February 7th 2007.
Erected With The Support Of Many Locals
Who Worshipped In This Church

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design